Sumac: A Versatile and Healthy Spice for Turkish cuisine
Sumac is a popular spice used in Turkish cuisine to enhance the flavor of salads and dishes. Derived by drying and grinding the fruit of the sumac plant, it has a sour taste and is used as an alternative to lemon. Sumac is known for its medicinal properties and has been used in traditional medicine for centuries. Let’s dive deeper and discover the benefits of this versatile and healthy spice.
What is Sumac?
Sumac is a herb that belongs to the family Anacardiaceae and has over 150 species, but only two are non-toxic. The sour-tasting sumac is used as a souring agent in Turkish cuisine. It grows in almost every type of soil and is available throughout the year.
What are the Benefits of Sumac Spice?
Studies have shown that sumac has antioxidant properties, similar to that of lemon. Sumac juice can be used to treat upper respiratory tract diseases without using drugs. Some of the benefits of sumac spice include:
– Regulates Insulin: Sumac regulates insulin levels in the blood, making it ideal for diabetes and high blood pressure patients.
– Protects the Brain: The antioxidant properties of sumac help maintain brain health and reduce high fever caused by upper respiratory tract infections.
– Preserves Food: Sumac sour can be used to preserve food for a long time.
– Reduces Fatigue and Stress: A glass of sumac juice per week can increase healthy cells and reduce the risk of ailments such as fatigue, stress, and depression.
– Treats Food Poisoning: Drinking boiled sumac spice during food poisoning cleanses the stomach and intestines and removes harmful bacteria.
– Regulates Digestion: Sumac juice regulates digestion and prevents indigestion and bloating.
– Increases Appetite: Children with anorexia can benefit from drinking sumac juice, as it increases their body resistance and appetite.
In conclusion, sumac is more than a mere spice that enhances the flavor of Turkish cuisine. It is a versatile and healthy spice with numerous medicinal properties. Its sour taste, when combined with other spices like cumin and mint, can add a unique flavor to your cooking. Make sure to include sumac spice in your diet to maintain a healthy lifestyle.